Windows 8 support

Dec 31, 2011 at 12:12 PM

This is a great framework for Windows Phone. Probably a lot of people will want to port their applications to Windows 8 as a Metro style application.

Do you have any plans to port this framework to support Windows 8?

Coordinator
Jan 4, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Hi -

Yes, this is a good idea and something I need to look into.  It should port pretty easily as much of the phone-specific stuff is factored out, but I need to get a Win8 install up and running to see which things need to be adjusted to work under the Win8 profile.

Shawn

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Plus 1 for this request :) 

Coordinator
Jan 30, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Yep.  Two things here:

1) I'm waiting for the beta to come out so I can work on a more stable (API-wise, mostly) platform

2) I wouldn't mind some help.  Volunteering welcome. :)

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:22 PM

hey shawn i will  try to help out..  :) i just need some directions from you and  i m good to go.. i m using the developer build but i can start compiling some stuff.. 

Coordinator
Feb 3, 2012 at 5:11 AM

Hi -

OK, that would be cool.  Give me a week or two to get some time to focus on this, but job #1 is trying to get the AgFx build to compile under the Win8 profile and seeing what needs to be either replumbed, ifdef'd or whatever.

Shawn

Coordinator
Feb 23, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Hi Folks -

OK, I've started this process.

If you check out: https://github.com/shawnburke/AgFx/tree/win8

You will see that I have begun migrating AgFx to Github, and I've done the first pass of namespace fixups for Win8.

There are quite a few things that will take some work, specifically AgFx uses Isolated Storage, which I need to look at how to map to Win8's file APIs.  Ditto for DispatcherContext stuff. 

So now that the project is on Github, I invite any of you to start hacking on this and then just issue pull requests to me when you think you have something, I'll take a look and then merge when appropriate.

Note all that is in the solution now is the AgFx DLL itself.  Once that's compiling, i"ll figure out how to move the unit tests over, etc.

SB