This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Never ending Load call

May 23, 2011 at 7:24 AM

First I'd like to thank you for sharing this framework, it saved me a lot of time.

I’m having a sporadic issue when making 2 subsequent calls to Load . While one ViewModel loads successfully, the Loader for the other ViewModel never gets called, and so the Load call never gets to completion.

I’m calling Load twice for the same ViewModel but with different LoadContext. There are no exceptions thrown, and it happens only for live loads.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks, Moshik

Coordinator
May 23, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Hi Moshik -

Yes, this issue sounds familiar, I think I saw this and fixed it a few weeks ago.  Can you please pull down the source for the latest changelist (Source Code -> 72740), build that and see if it addresses your issue?

Thanks,

Shawn

May 23, 2011 at 9:50 PM
Hi Shawn,

I will double-check, but I think I'm still seeing a repro with the latest changelist.
If you could point me to the fixed code I'll verify that I have it.
Is there a workaround for this issue?

Thanks,
Moshik Zur

To: [email removed]
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 13:15:49 -0700
Subject: Re: Never ending Load call [agfx:258585]

Hi Moshik -
Yes, this issue sounds familiar, I think I saw this and fixed it a few weeks ago. Can you please pull down the source for the latest changelist (Source Code -> 72740), build that and see if it addresses your issue?
Thanks,
Shawn
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (agfx@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email agfx@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com
Coordinator
May 24, 2011 at 7:55 PM
Edited May 24, 2011 at 7:57 PM

The fix is in CacheEntry.cs, click here for the diff.

If that does not fix your issue, then I'd like to have a closer look.

If you could create a small repro case and send me that, that's the best case so I can debug and fix.

If not, can you send me the debug output that you're seeing when this happens.

In either case, send me what you can at sburke AT microsoft DOT com and I'll take a look.

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:26 PM
Edited Aug 15, 2011 at 12:39 PM

I have the same issue as described by MoshikZur. I have a model with several favorite locations. And when i foreach load the given location data from AgFx, sometimes one (or two) of the locations will just never ending load. I am running the 72740 build and that did not seem to help. The weird thing is that it does not happen each time. Just sometimes.

In the debug I see "Loading cached data for" and "Deserializing cached data" - for the correct amount of items I need to load, but the Deserialize public function of the model does not get called for each item.

Have you looked any more at this issue?

-B

Coordinator
Aug 17, 2011 at 3:00 AM

Hi -

No, I think I need a repro.  Any chance one of you could put one together for me, even if it doesn't happen every time?

Shawn

Aug 17, 2011 at 6:01 AM
I can send you the sources for my app. The repro steps are straightforward - it's a translator that works with 2 online dictionaries in parallel. Occasionally, one of the web requests doesn't get to completion.
Will that work for you?

Sent from my Windows Phone

Sent: 8/16/2011 7:00 PM
To: moshikzur@hotmail.com

Hi -

No, I think I need a repro. Any chance one of you could put one together for me, even if it doesn't happen every time?

Shawn

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:45 AM

I have created a simple app to reproduce the problem. Where do you want me to send it?

App will do the following:

Create Collection of 7 items. 
On load, or button click foreach item in collection -> load data for given Uri.

This normally fails every 3, or 4 try. I only see the issue on application start. If it manages to load the collection once it always will until next app launch.

-B

Aug 17, 2011 at 2:08 PM
Edited Aug 17, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Hello again,

I've done some debugging on my own. When I experience the problem I see that the LoadInternal function in CacheEntry.cs is called with the same LoadContext twice. I have not digged deeper yet, but there seems to a problem where sometimes the LoadContext is not passed on, or the last one is used instead.

Hopefully this might help, or it's in the complete wrong direction. Either way :) hehe.

Edit:

I'm getting a feeling that this is due to a GC issue.

-B

Coordinator
Aug 17, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Outstanding, thanks for taking the time to pull this together.

Please open a bug by clicking "Create a Work Item" on the right, then attach a zip there.

Shawn

Aug 17, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Case created in the issue tracking system. Let me know if you need more information or need any testing.

Thanks!

-B

Aug 24, 2011 at 6:53 PM

It looks like your fix helped. I have not seen the problem when running on the latest code. Thank you so much :) Keep up the great work!

Aug 26, 2011 at 7:07 AM
+1
Thanks Shawn for the quick fix.
Moshik Zur

To: [email removed]
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 10:53:05 -0700

It looks like your fix helped. I have not seen the problem when running on the latest code. Thank you so much :) Keep up the great work!
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (agfx@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email agfx@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com